It’s remarkable how creative people get when locked up in their homes!
During the last few days, I have received so many hilarious clips on my phone that made me almost die from laughter.
From all of them, I hate to admit it, but this is my favorite.
Don’t get me wrong– I love my family more than anything on this planet.
But I noticed that being together with my wife and kids all day, for over a week now isn’t easy…
We all seem a bit nervous and tense.
I for a start, ruminate alot about how this crisis will affect our businesses and our economy as a whole.
I also feel anxious about not being productive:
One thing I struggle with is that whenever I try to work, I get interrupted by our kids who want me to play with them, and who randomly throw tantrums because they miss going to friends and their grandparents!
My wife on the other hand, who usually brings calmness to our house, seems overwhelmed from constantly having to entertain the kids, feeding the family and taking care of our home– she is rightly concerned about the uncertainty of how long we will stay homebound.
The good news is that we have started to make some adjustments:
For example, we now eat almost every meal together with our kids— by doing so, we are building a real sense of family culture, and it is very heartwarming. 😉
In addition, both me and my wife spend one on one time with each of our kids where we might play a game, read a story or spend time scribbling– this is giving them each undivided attention which they truly enjoy!
And in the evenings, once the kids are asleep, my wife and I have started spending quality time together to recap the day, drink tea and chat about our day, before watching an episode of Friends. These moments together give us both lots of joy and energy for these stressful days.
In short, we have created pretty basic routines that are very bonding!
Day 7: Strengthen your most important relationships
For tomorrow’s challenge, I invite you to strengthen one major relationship in your life.
If you live with a spouse or partner, think of ways you could schedule an hour for just the two of you!
This might mean:
- Going for a run together (if this is allowed where you live).
- Working out from home together.
- Playing games like Rummikub or;
- Drinking tea and spending time catching up on how our day went.
- Having a glass of wine and watching a movie.
- Chatting about things you usually don’t speak about, like our worries or long term dreams.
- Enjoying a romantic evening together at home once everyone is asleep. 😉
If you live alone:
Set up a zoom call with your parents or siblings and spend 30 minutes chatting with each other, without feeling rushed.
Go for deeper conversations and ask questions that we usually never ask:
- What do you love doing, when you have all the time in the world?
- Who is someone you would want as a dinner guest, if you could choose anyone in the world?
- What are the biggest lessons you have learned about why relationships work/ don’t work?
- What is something you achieved that makes you feel very proud?
- What is something you have dreamt to do but never found the time?
- What does friendship mean to you?
- What’s a funny story you can share about our childhood?
These are just a few ideas– I am sure you can come up with many more intriguing questions. 😉
In the meantime, let me know how your mindful meals are going today and comment down below a short note with either “Great”— if you are succeeding to slow down and enjoy your meals, OR “NO”— if you keep forgetting…
Speak again tomorrow,
PS. You can check out previous challenges by clicking the following links:
Do you want to become a real force in your industry and take your career and your life to the next level without ruining your health and your closest personal relationships?
Get your free PDF copy of the 26,000 word long Ultimate Guide to High Performance and learn what world class athletes and top performers do to increase their focus, energy levels and mental toughness in order to outperform their competition.
In this Guide, you will learn how you can:
- Become so productive that you will move towards your big goals faster than ever before, even if you feel extremely busy and overwhelmed right now.
- Excel in those big pressure moments that define top performers but make everyone else sweat bullets.
- Develop the mental toughness to bounce back from setbacks and disappointments Swiftly.